The director of membership serves as the primary relationship manager with U.S. and African member companies enhancing their partnerships and investments in Africa. He/She manages the membership team’s business development, which includes recruiting and retaining member companies, continuing the organization’s record growth among these businesses. Furthermore, he/she represents the organization at industry and regional meetings and events.
The direct of membership manages core aspects of the organization’s MyCCA database including administration, maintenance, technical support, and troubleshooting event registrations. He/She will coordinate the receipt, extraction, loading, normalization and accuracy of data by establishing and enforcing organizational standards. The MyCCA platform facilitates member engagement and helps members and staff access a directory of company executives and government officials.
This position is based in the Washington office of the Corporate Council on Africa, and most work is performed from the Washington office. The position also requires travel within the US and Africa to conferences to meet program objectives. Travel is unlikely to exceed twenty percent of work days.
No supervisory responsibilities
President and CEO
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and writing sample to email@example.com.
- Serves as the initial point of contact for all membership inquiries and fosters new members’ immersion into programs and events;
- Identifies potential new members to help grow the membership by collaborating with colleagues and conducting membership meetings with potential members;
- Captures advisory services, business headlines, and facilitation orchestrated by staff calibrating the impact of membership with individual companies and increasing the number of companies that take advantage the full range of member services;
- Showcases the organization at industry and regional events;
- Assesses the components and products of membership, key features of a successful event as well as identifies headwinds where the organization can invest to grow membership;
- Communicates critical membership related information to staff enhancing its ability to communicate organizational successes and highlights to U.S. and Africa companies;
- Maintains and troubleshoots MyCCA keeping data consistent and standardized;
- Monitors database performance to provide fast query responses to front-end users (staff and members) communicating closely with IT developers;
- Creates user accounts and provides technical assistance to improve the organization’s communication with members;
- Compiles procedural documents and trains new staff to use the MyCCA databases;
- Supports the development of marketing materials about components, products and insight that the organization provides its members;
- Supports working groups, special events, trade missions and business conferences through the prism of membership.
- Master’s degree and approximately five years’ experience with at least three years with project management and budget management experience
- At least three years of experience working in Africa in a position that offered an understanding of the business environment in Africa
- Skilled in fundraising contributions from corporations and businesses
- Highly capable of managing critical projects with experience managing teams made up of multiple stakeholders, budget oversight, reporting requirements.
- Solid expertise in conceptualizing and implementing innovative initiatives leading to operational effectiveness and additional revenue streams
- Seasoned in serving in an advisory capacity to corporate executives, governments and NGO senior management on business environments in Africa.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of programs especially Excel and SharePoint
- Strong written, oral communication and analytical-thinking skills
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Teamwork - Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas.
The Corporate Council on Africa Internship Program
CCA accepts applications for internships throughout the year. Interns conduct research and gather information on African policy issues. They play an integral role in planning for our Trade and Outreach Missions, Meetings Programs, Working Group Meetings, and Doing Business in Africa workshops. They also provide organizational and logistical support.
Interns MUST have: